Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Interview with Suzanne Urban of Suzanne Urban Designs



Suzanne Urban is the imaginative artist behind the
Connecticut - based
Suzanne Urban Designs.

Her unique work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID : suzanne.artist


How would you describe your work? Neo-folk art in style, I mix my knowledge of drawing with simpler designy shapes so I can communicate more to my viewers.

How long have you been creating Halloween themed art? Gosh, since I've been a member of EHAG from it's very inception-how many years is that? 4?


What do you consider your greatest creative challenge? Drawing new images I haven't flexed my artistic muscles to draw.


What do you like most about being a member of EHAG? The enthusiasm the other artists have for the Halloween Holiday.


What was your favorite childhood costume, and why? This is a toss up, my ballerina costume, and then being a Troll with troll mask when I was ten.

Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions? No, but I do string orange and purple lights on our deck outside every Halloween season.


Where do you find your inspiration? I love children's illustration and even illustrated a book myself, so I study a lot of the work coming out in this field today, I hope to get back to the field in the future.

What are your artistic plans for the future? To do more shows and build up my button and magnet business featuring my talent as a copywriter.


"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you. Years ago when I was verily out of school- I was commissioned by a playwright to do a caricature of Liza Minelli when she was on Broadway. The playwright was a friend of hers.


How do you balance your personal/professional life? I'm still learning how to do this.


What shows if any will you be participating in this year? I will be doing a local Farmers Market here in CT that features local art and produce goods and hope to get into the Brooklyn Flea with my husband, would like to do more shows of this nature in NYC. And I'm participating in an online marketplace featuring Halloween among other holiday-theme art.


See more of Suzanne's work at the following website:


ETSY STORE ID: suzanneartist


Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

3 comments:

William Bezek said...

Hummmm, I was looking for a Halloween costume. A Troll Ballerina just might be the ticket.
Body hair and tulle...I like it!

Flora said...

I've always admired Suzanne's art,ABSOLUTELY LOVELOVELOVE her style!!!Thanks for another great interview Johanna!!!
blessings,Flora

suzanne.artist said...

Thank you for your kind words, and Johanna for taking the time away from your studio to write this interview.

Suzanne Urban