Thursday, September 16, 2010

Interview with Amelia Schaefer of Sweet B Folk Art...


Amelia Schaefer is the imaginative artist behind the
Arizona - based
Sweet B Folk Art.

Her unique work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID : Sweet*b*


How would you describe your work?
I like to think of my work as "Seasonal Folk art with a Sweet Candy Twist."

How long have you been creating Halloween themed art?
Technically, since I was about 5... but seriously, at least for the last 6 years.


What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?

Experimenting with new mediums, I tend to stick to what I know and love, and need to push myself to try some of the new products that are available.

What do you like most about being a member of EHAG? 
I really enjoy the boundless creativity of the membership, and the high standards of workmanship that I see in EHAG pieces. It is very motivating to be part of such a great group of talented artists.


What was your favorite childhood costume, and why?

A cheap, plastic Cinderella costume (Longs Drugstore special), complete with the cheesy plastic mask. My mom wouldn't buy it for me because we were visiting with my Grandma at the time, and she had already made me a costume. Although I didn't actually wear it, I would consider it my favorite because I still think about it to this day. I think it was the neon pink packaging that sold me.


Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?

Can eating as much candy as you can till you get sick be considered a tradition?

Where do you find your inspiration?

So much of my inspiration comes from my obsessive love for candy. I collect vintage candy and dessert cookbooks for inspiration, but I also find inspiration when I just let my mind wander where it will.


What are your artistic plans for the future?

So many ideas, so little time... Eventually I would like to open an Etsy store, and I have several ideas for books. In the short term, however, I plan to bring back the Sweet B Folk Art Candy Challenge to my blog.

"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you.

I only have one filling!


How do you balance your personal/professional life?

Like a Ringling Barnem and Bailey juggler!

What shows if any will you be participating in this year?

I am honored to be participating in the Halloween and Vine show in Petaluma California, and also in the Spookytime Jingle Soiree in New Jersey.


See more of Amelia's work at the following website:


Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

3 comments:

Johanna Parker said...

Only one filling?!!! That's not bad for a girl that loves sweets as much as you do..... Love your work as always! It's great fun :)

~ Johanna

*retro-rudolphs* said...

No one does candy quite like you B, nor should they try to because you seriously ROCK it!

Flora said...

Thanks for the great interview on B Johanna,she definitely is a talented " SWEETIE "!!!
blessings,Flora